Sunday, October 12, 2008

I Heart Magazines

Most of you know that I am a voracious reader. I usually have 3-4 books going at a time - a non-fiction, a classic, a devotional, and a contemporary novel. In addition to books, I am absolutely hooked on magazines. Ever since my first Sassy at age 12, I have subscribed to dozens of magazines that have chronicled my interests in life. Currently, I subscribe to the following:
The Week - I recommend this magazine to everyone! It is a concise news mag that takes articles from newspapers across the nation and edits them into small news pieces that represent a variety of editorial opinions. The best part about it is that it's slim, articulate and to-the-point -you get the basics on numerous cultural issues.
Cookie - A mom's magazine with a chic edge.
Better Homes & Gardens - I mainly just covet all the interiors.
Real Simple - A classic for modern women.
In Style - It's a little embarassing to admit, but this is the magazine that I look forward to the most. There's just something about getting a big, glossy, perfumey magazine in the mail. I usually read this one all in the same night I get it. It's quite contradictory to my nature - I rarely spend more than $15 on any article of clothing, much less $600 on a pair of Christian Louboutin stilettos! Really - does anyone besides celebrities actually pay that much to look good? I guess it's an indulgent escape for me - I love the fashion, the beauty secrets, the other-worldliness of it all.
When do I have time to read all these? They are a perfect companion to my rare date with the treadmill or the gym. And unlike books, they don't require concentration, so I read after Ethan's gone to bed during commercial breaks.
The reason why I bring this up is that my renewals are coming up soon and I am thinking about switching things up. So what I want to know from you is, what magazines do you read and recommend? Write me your suggestions please! I am eagerly awaiting. Happy reading.

8 comments:

Vicki said...

Hey Mel I love Cook's Illustrated, if you like to cook, or even if you don't like to but have to ;). They offer tons of info about why certain recipes work and they do lots of trials to find the best recipe of many ordinary foods. It's not just another recipe mag--filled with tons of really interesting read. I got a pancake recipe out of there and they are by far the most delicous pancakes I've (and Joe) ever tasted!

Schwartz said...

The magazine I look forward to each month is "Body and Soul". It focuses on living green, eating well and excercising (o.k. so mainly yoga poses). Even though I don't follow each focus (living green, eating well and doing yoga), it's fun to think about. I actually feel relaxed after I read it. I love the last page which offer 10 simple thoughts on whole living. They are really silly statements, but I like them (i.e. "Your stuff reflects you. As your needs evolve, find new homes for your old things").

The other mag we really like is Dwell. The focus is on Modern living/architecture.

I'm sure Sam could recommend much more sophisticated magazines that you would like as well...happy reading!

Anonymous said...

Backyard Living is a favorite of mine. I love the gardens, patio flowers, and wishing my yard looked so good (with a lot less work, of course!) And, of course, Running World because it has lots of nutrition and exercise tips for my running passion. Mom

Steve & Sarabeth said...

Guideposts. Just kidding. I don't have any other recommendations, but I think that you should give us some occasional book reviews. I, too, am always looking for new books to read.

Sam Schwartz said...

Harper's. Good variety of articles, excerpts, commentary, and reviews. And smart. I read mine cover to cover every month. The Atlantic is good, too.

Steve & Sarabeth said...

Here's a few ideas from the "intellectual' in the family..
1) Even though there is now a store in Washington, the Cabela's annual catalog remains at the top of my list..a solid year of high quality reading.
2)Ask Bonnie to sign you up for whatever she signed Sarabeth and I up for. The issues of Giant, Backpacking Monthly, Digital Photograpy Quarterly, and a variety of other highly rated periodicals will never stop flooding your mailbox.

Anonymous said...

"A Taste of Home"....great recipes, good ideas and most of the recipes are already in a "recipe card" format so you can just cut them out and go. I cut them out, make them, and decide if they are keepers or not.
Really enjoy the Ethan pix!
Aunt Sue

Bonnie Kim said...

I only read U.S. and People and occassionally Martha Stewart Living!